Yang ChengFu's "Essence and Applications of Taijiquan"

Tim's Discussion Board: Tai Ji Quan : Yang ChengFu's "Essence and Applications of Taijiquan"
   By Richard Shepard on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:00 pm: Edit Post

Hello Tim and all,

Have you read the new translation of Yang ChengFu's book "The Essence and Application of Taijiquan" by Louis Swaim. I believe it was released in March. I was thinking about buying it and wondered if anyone had already read it.

Thanks,
Richard

By Tim on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:16 pm: Edit Post

I haven't read it.

By Rich on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

I read it... it is a good book.

By Jamie Ruddy (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:05 am: Edit Post

I have this book it is a real good translation. I must say I also have a Chinese copy by Professor Zheng ManQing and the Luis Swain edition is realy maby a little lass than a third of the entire book, mainly just the 108 form part.

By Jamie Ruddy (Unregistered Guest) on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:07 am: Edit Post

I have this book it is a real good translation. I must say I also have a Chinese copy by Professor Zheng ManQing and the Luis Swain edition is realy maybe a little less than a third of the entire book, mainly just the 108 form part.

By David Borg (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:16 pm: Edit Post

I have heard that Yang Cheng Fu actually was iliterate and sold his name to someone else to the write the book.

Someone else that know more about this?

By Jamie (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

To David Borg:
please sir:
if you read the book that the poster is speaking of your question will be answered in great detail.

By Tim Ash on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:54 pm: Edit Post

I have read it. It is an interesting book. The form is used as a running narration of hypothetical attacks and responses (e.g. "Imagine if he then punches you from your left side ...").

What struck me is how similar the photos are to the early Wu Style form. It is clear that there was a long parallel development of the two styles (at least through the Yang Cheng Fu branch).

Tim Ash
contact@sandiegotaichi.com
http://SanDiegoTaiChi.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: