Simplified Sun Taijiquan form by Sun Jianyun

Tim's Discussion Board: Tai Ji Quan : Simplified Sun Taijiquan form by Sun Jianyun
   By Igor Rakar on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 09:50 am: Edit Post

Anybody is practicing the Simplified Sun Taijiquan form by Sun Jianyun?
It has 42 postures. Mainly are all postures of the long form but without the repetitions.
I'm thinking to learn the "short" form for my daily practice. It takes 4 minute, meanwhile the "long" form takes 8 minutes.
Now I'm learning the long form (now I'm learning the section 6).
Here is the form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpeAx-CwmC4

By Jake Burroughs on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:26 pm: Edit Post

I think you can find 8 whole minutes to dedicate to training every single day Igor. Dare I say perhaps even doubling that would get you exponential results!

By Jamie on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:21 am: Edit Post

The long form is so easy; I am amazed it could even be simplified.
I too am learning the Traditional Sun- form from Tim's DVDs.
Unless you're considering a shorter version for competition or something, I do not see the need to cut it in half

By Igor Rakar on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:56 pm: Edit Post

I practice daily some Yang (CMC), Wu (BKF) and Sun Tai Chi. So, are not just 8 minutes. ;-)
However, yes, the traditional Sun is very simple.
But doing "long" forms take some time and is difficult to find it (time) every day. But yes, maybe I will do the long Sun form, because is very simple and also very good.

By Jake Burroughs on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:54 pm: Edit Post

Actually doing a long form is not difficult, nor is it hard to find the time if it is important. Trying to do 3-4 different long forms... well... that is different. Perhaps cull the heard a bit.

By Igor Rakar on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:25 am: Edit Post

My plan was to make a 20 minute daily rotine which I can do daily also when I'm very busy.
I considered to put in it a short Yang (8 min), a short Wu (4 min) and a short Sun form (4 min).
For the Yang style I chose the 37 posture CMC form. This works very well for me. For the Wu style I chose the BK Frantzus 27 posture form (however I'm tempted to learn the long form, but I think I will not have time to practice it daily so is maybe better for me to stay with the short form). For the Sun style I chose the Tim Cartmell's form but I planned to shorten it to the 42 posture made by Sun Jianyun.
Yes, I know the Sun form is simple and not so long, but to add it to my daily routine is maybe better to use the 42 posture and not the traditional 97 postures.

By Jake Burroughs on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:27 am: Edit Post

you are working on too many things with a limited time allotment. Focus on one instead of four.

By Igor Rakar on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:47 pm: Edit Post

:-)
I'm focusing only on 3. ;-)
I found that the forms that I'm learning use the same principles so the complement each other.
However I use the as drills, so every form has it function. And done daily the work great.

By Tony on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post

Sun Jianyun was forced to shorten the 97 for political reasons.To be honest it is a bit of a botched job and dosen't seem to flow properly.I learned it myself from a video but it just didn't feel right.A good workout is to do 40 minutes of santi shi and piquan followed by three reps of the 97.

By Igor Rakar on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:23 am: Edit Post

Yes, I know. But I'm busy and I now can't find more that 20-30 minutes daily for the practice. I like the Yang Tai Chi "short" form (it takes 8 minutes), I also like the Wu Tai Chi "short" form (it takes 4 mintues - but done on both sides it tekes 8 minutes) and I would like to add also the Sun Tai Chi "short" form. Now I'm learning the Sun long form, but maybe I will change to the Sun short form.

Tony, may I ask from which video did you learn the short form?

By Tony on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:25 am: Edit Post

Igor,I learned the short form from Sun Jianyun's DVD.I believe it is available on you tube.I learned the 97 from my teacher who was a long time student of Sun Jianyun so it wasn't that hard to learn the 42 from a DVD.

By Igor Rakar on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 02:56 pm: Edit Post

I don't know if Sun Jianyun has a DVD on the Sun short form. Do you know where is aviable? Maybe a link to that DVD? Thanks.

However now I'm learning the Wu "long" form. If is done fast it takes 11-15 minutes. I already knwo the Yang "short" form. It takes to be done 8-10 minutes. I'm also learning (now I'm on the section 6) the Sun long form. I will se if I will leatn also the short form or I will practice the long form.

By Igor Rakar on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:06 am: Edit Post

For now I'm learning the Sun style long form. Its need very little time so it could be in my daily routine. I will find 8 minutes to do it. :-)
Now I'm also learning the Wu style long form it takes 11 minutes (if done faster). I learned 1/4 of the form.
Now I practice also the Yang style short form (CMC version) it takes 8 minutes.

So in 25 minutes I will be able to do all 3 forms. :-) Also I can do the forms through the day separately (if I have a 10 munutes break).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: