Taiwan?

Tim's Discussion Board: Martial Arts - Miscellaneous: Taiwan?
   By Backarcher on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 09:06 pm: Edit Post

Tim,

I'm thinking about teaching english in Taiwan. Before consider such a move, I'd like to make sure I'll have somewhere to train. How assessable is Chinese Wrestling there?

By Dave C. on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

Oh, boy. This should be good. Before you get into the mess that is shuaijiao in Taiwan, I suggest you read this post that I wrote at my blog:
http://formosaneijia.com/2007/who-not-to-train-with/

Other than the famous person mentioned, I know of someone that teaches shuaijiao in English. Contact me at the blog for details.

By Tim on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 01:25 am: Edit Post

There you go.

I'm not familiar with the Shuai Jiao scene in Taiwan.

By Backarcher on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 02:02 am: Edit Post

Nice blog.

My decision on going depend "heavily" on my chances of finding good wrestling.

Will I? Yes or no? Where? who?

Do I have to buy your book for an answer?

By Dave C. on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 04:29 am: Edit Post

Backarcher,
I honestly can't recommend Taiwan for its wrestling scene. There basically isn't one for the reasons mentioned in my post. (Glad you like the blog BTW)

If you really want to do shuaijiao here, then yes, i would suggest you buy my guide and contact the teacher inside.

But for grappling, I would go for BJJ. We have that here but i wonder if you won't have more of it where you already are.

Sorry to say this, but it sounds like you might be disappointed if you come.

BTW, Beijing has a better shuaijiao scene. Try here: shuaijiao.tv

By Dave C. on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 06:35 am: Edit Post

I should mention a couple of other options.

Mike Martello is running a yearly training trip to China every July. You can specialize in shuaijiao and the training runs 8 hours a day (part of that is stretching, doing push hands, etc.). You should be able to get a lot in a month and you get to do the "China thing" as well. This year I think the camp guys will also have the option of competing in a shuaijiao tourney in Beijing. Let me know if this interests you.

The second option , and probably the best, would be Tim. I see lots of his Chinese IMA background in his sparring clips on youtube. His bagua shuaijiao is obviously there, as are all the trips that I would expect from good shuaijiao guys. And unlike the SC guys, Tim can teach you to follow up on the ground. Plus, you get it all in perfect English. That's just a win/win situation.

I would really recommend these other options to you first, but if you have your heart set on Taiwan, then let me know. Good luck.

By Backarcher on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 11:14 am: Edit Post

Thanks, Dave!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: